Today’s message is from Bob, who was a prodigal who returned home and was remarried to me for an additional 23 years before the Lord took him home to Heaven. Bob wrote 19 books from the prodigal’s perspective for more than two decades after our divorce and remarriage. – Charlyne
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth? Galatians 5:7
One February, the Lord opened the door for us to make train reservations to travel to New York City. Charlyne had never ridden a train before, so we took a trial trip one weekend to Winter Park, a city just a few hours away. We had lunch and then rode the train back to Fort Lauderdale. We discovered that one of us enjoyed train travel much more than the other during that trip.
Most of the CSX track Amtrak operates on is a single track running north and south through Florida. Somehow the train dispatchers can keep dozens of trains traveling different directions operating safely at the same time.
I discovered this is done by “sidetracks” all along the way, where a train traveling one direction can pull over and allow a train going the opposite direction to pass.
As our train traveled through open fields between West Palm Beach and Okeechobee, Charlyne read a book. At one point, I asked if she had sensed anything, but she had not. Our train had slowed down and had been sidetracked. Soon, we were sitting still while a southbound train roared by. The Lord brought to my mind comparisons between a train being sidetracked and a person in a restored marriage being sidetracked.
- You are not aware of being sidetracked unless you are paying attention. I enjoyed every minute of our train travel and knew exactly when the wheels on the coach we were riding on clacked onto the sidetrack. Charlyne, who was paying attention to her book, didn’t notice anything was different until our train screeched to a halt.
- You always slow down before being sidetracked. It is not possible for a train going full speed ahead to become sidetracked. It is not possible for a person going full speed with the Lord to become sidetracked. The person who has slowed down in their spiritual life and their marriage is in danger of being sidetracked.
- There are sidetracks all along the way, and the enemy wants to divert each of us there through any stronghold he can gain.
- Sidetracks are not dead-ends. They may cause a detour or delay, but there is always a point where the sidetrack connects with the main track once again. There is a way up ahead for you to get back on track.
- It is not necessary for anyone to detrain and manually throw the switch to be sidetracked. This is done by a dispatcher in another location. If the enemy has thrown a spiritual switch when you weren’t paying attention and find yourself sidetracked, you only need to ask the Lord to get you back on the right track.
You might be reading this while on a spiritual sidetrack. The enemy may be trying to use something to slow down your restoration journey. It is not too late. Examine your life and marriage and ask the Lord to show you any areas where you are taking a sidetrack.
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it. 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
Because He lives,