A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord. 1 Corinthians 7:39
A prominent pastor from our area who was unfaithful to his wife many years ago recently married another woman. When I look at the cycle of divorce in this family, I quickly see a list of families torn apart by divorce. Many have even tried to heal their wounds with another person.
Psychology Today  says that the divorce rate for second marriages is higher than for first marriages. They also say that people end second marriages faster. That debunks the thought that maybe the subsequent marriage will be happier.
Marriage is hard. There are going to be challenging days. You have been through separation or divorce, so you understand that fact. However, that doesn’t make it any easier for a person not to give up again and leave home after marriage restoration has already taken place.
There may come a day when there is a temptation to leave home again. Maybe the communication has started dwindling, or you find yourself not putting forth much effort into your marriage. Please allow me to share five reasons to stay home.
- You promised God on your wedding day that you would keep your covenant. Those vows you made were not just filler words recited at every ceremony. They were a promise.
- Divorce doesn’t just affect you and your spouse. There are possibly hundreds, maybe even thousands of people that the demise of your family would impact.
- When you allow God to work in your home, healing past hurts and being the guide for your future, you are rewriting your family’s legacy. Instead of seeing the destruction, they see the faithfulness of God because of what He has done in your family.
- Is God calling you to stay home and fulfill the covenant vow you made? Then divorce would be disobedience, and with that disobedience comes consequences.
- It’s time to stop the cycle. Is there divorce in your family? Have you watched generations give up on each other? Then it is time to declare that the destructive cycle of divorce stops with your family.
There is hope for every marriage! Will you commit to spending more time working on your marriage and less time looking for a way out? God is faithful. Allow Him to guide you into the marriage relationship He has always wanted you to have.